Funchal Airport (FNC) – Madeira Airport Portugal
Funchal Airport (FNC) (formerly known as Santa Catarina Airport and formally known as Madeira Airport) is the spot that controls the international and national air traffic for the Portuguese islands of Madeira and Porto Santo.
About Funchal Airport (FNC) Madeira
In a paradisiacal landscape, surrounded by the ocean and high mountains, Funchal Airport benefits from one of the most beautiful settings, but is also renowned as being one of the most dangerous airports in the world, the short runways and the location making for a tricky landing even for experienced pilots. Recently however, the airport has been redesigned and received the Outstanding Structure Award in 2004 (which is like an Oscar trophy for structure engineering).
There is only one terminal which is mostly underground and which opened in 1973, has 16 boarding gates 7 baggage belts and 40 check-in desks.
For thousands of years, the sea was the only means of transport and the only way people could reach a place so distant from the mainland, like Madeira Island. But the appearance of airplanes and the introduction of mass, tourism flights has opened a whole new horizon for Madeira. Nowadays, thousands of people land in Funchal Airport every week, coming to this retreated haven of beauty and peace to relax and escape the cold and stress of their homeland.
Travel to Madeira
To enjoy their time to the full, there are countless tour guides that advise people on how to use their time and resources to make an unforgettable Madeira trip.
Transport in Madeira
To get around the Island of Madeira, Portugal and save time and effort, there are several transport offers that are very popular among tourists. To get from Funchal Airport to their destination in Madeira, private airport transfer services are recommended.
For those who enjoy the comfort and freedom of having a vehicle at their disposal, they are more than welcome to rent a car from one of the local companies.
Want to find out even more about Funchal Airport (FNC)?
Airlines and Destinations:
- Aero VIP Porto Santo
- Aigle Azur Paris–Orly
- Air Berlin Berlin-Tegel, Düsseldorf, Leipzig/Halle, Munich, Seasonal: Nuremberg
- Arkefly Seasonal: Amsterdam
- Austrian Airlines operated by Tyrolean Airways, Seasonal: Vienna
- Condor Berlin-Schönefeld, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Leipzig/Halle, Munich
- easyJet Bristol, Lisbon, London–Gatwick
- Edelweiss Air Zurich
- Enter Air, Seasonal: Wrocław, Paris–Charles de Gaulle, Porto Santo
- Europe Airpost Montpellier, Paris–Charles de Gaulle
- Finnair Seasonal: Helsinki
- Germania Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden, Erfurt-Weimar, Seasonal Charter: Bremen, Memmingen
- Iberia operated by Air Nostrum, Seasonal: Bilbao, Valencia, Oviedo
- Jet2.com East Midlands (begins 8 April), Glasgow-International (begins 26 May), Leeds/Bradford, Manchester, Newcastle (begins 4 July)
- Jetairfly Seasonal: Brussels
- Luxair Luxembourg
- Monarch Airlines Birmingham, London–Gatwick
- Niki Seasonal: Graz, Linz, Vienna
- Neos Milan–Malpensa
- Norwegian Air Shuttle, Seasonal: Copenhagen, Oslo–Gardermoen
- Primera Air Seasonal: Göteborg, Oulu
- SATA International Dublin, Paris–Orly, Stockholm–Arlanda
- SATA International operated by SATA Air Açores Faro, Gran Canaria, Ponta Delgada
- TAP Portugal Caracas, Lisbon, Porto, Summer Seasonal: Barcelona, London–Gatwick, Madrid, Winter Seasonal: London–Heathrow
- TAP Portugal operated by Portugália Lisbon, Porto
- Thomas Cook Airlines Manchester, Seasonal: Glasgow–International, London–Gatwick, Porto Santo
- Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium Brussels
- Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia Seasonal: Billund, Copenhagen, Helsinki
- Thomson Airways Birmingham, Exeter, Glasgow–International, London–Gatwick, Manchester, Seasonal: Bournemouth, London–Luton, Newcastle upon Tyne, Nottingham/East Midlands
- Transaero Airlines Seasonal: Moscow–Domodedovo
- Transavia.com Amsterdam
- Transavia.com France Paris-Orly, Porto, Seasonal:Nantes
- Travel Service Airlines Charter: Prague, Strasbourg
- Travel Service Poland Charter: Warsaw–Chopin
- TUIfly Seasonal: Basel/Mulhouse, Cologne/Bonn, Frankfurt, Hanover, Stuttgart
- Ukraine International Airlines Charter: Kyiv–Boryspil
- Windavia Charter: Dublin, Jersey, Lyon, Paris-Orly
Accessibility for disabled passengers
Through the My Way service, passengers with deficiencies or mobility issues receive the adequate help to navigate and enjoy their stay in Funchal Airport (FNC). Ramps, escalators and adapted elevators and toilets make the place accessible, and professionally trained personnel are always ready to give a helping hand.
Contact and Wireless
Funchal Airport (FNC) offers passengers 30 minutes of wireless internet every 12 hours.
There is also a free support phone number: 800 208 821, as well as an information spot with the phone number: (+351) 291 520 700 .
Welcome to the Island of the Eternal Spring!